Sunday 1 December 2013

DJ Clue & DJ Envy
Desert Storm mixtape Vol. 4 (2002)

Early 00s NYC mixtapes always seem to go down well around here so you go...


Highlights include a decent pre-Aftermath 50 Cent track ('Elementary') that I'd completely forgotten about, and what I think is an unreleased Shyne track that sounds like was produced by The Neptunes.
I'm a big fan of this era as it was the time of what I'd refer to as the Credible Club Banga - songs that worked on the dancefloor without crossing the line into being corny or outright pop. As I was playing out regularly around that time that was something of a godsend, so big up to Pharrell, Timbaland, Swizz and the rest of 'em for that. It was also a time when you could still put tracks from a new Large Professor album next to songs by Big Tymers and Angie Martinez and no-one would bat an eyelid. Can it be that it was all so simple then..?

No comments:

Post a Comment