Tuesday 1 November 2016

DJ Step One - California Love

First of the month, so as is now tradition, here's a new mix. Strictly West Coast rap this time out. Mostly 90s with a few early 00s tracks, and not too heavy on the anthems...




Tracklist
Ice Cube - 24 With An L
2Pac - Definition Of A Thug Nigga
Domino - Long Beach Thang
Conscious Daughters - Somethin To Ride To
Snoop Dogg ft Kurupt & Daz - Doggy Dogg World
E 40 ft B Legit & Mac Shon - Sideways
WC, Tray Dee, Daz & CJ Mac - Gang Related
Kurupt ft Crooked I, Daz & Baby S - I Ain't Shit Without My Homeboyz
Suga Free ft Playa Hamm - If U Stay Ready
The Whoridaz - Talkin Bout Bank
Mista Grimm ft Nate Dogg - Indo Smoke
2Pac & Snoop Dogg - 2 Of America's Most Wanted
Knocturnal ft Xzibit, Warren G & Shade Shiest - Str8 West Coastin (remix)
Dr Dre ft King Tee, Xzibit, Knocturnal, Kokane, & Timebomb - Some LA Niggaz
Cypress Hill ft Kokane - Greed
MC Eiht - Nuthin But The Gangsta (solo version)
E 40 ft Suga T - Sprinkle Me
Warren G ft The Twinz - Recognize
WC ft Mack 10 & Ice Cube - West Up (Soul Focus remix)
Dr Dre ft Snoop Dogg & Daz - Let Me Ride (remix)
Declaime - Caliwayz (remix)

I was definitely more into the West Coast sound in my early days of listening to Hip Hop, and save for the obvious tracks I didn't really get into the Large Pro/DITC/Premier side of things until the mid 90s. This was partly to do with availablity as so many releases weren't given a domestic UK release back then and even if you could afford an import copy you had to find one first. No easy task in deepest Surrey. Anyway, once I was old enough to get into London and buy my music I was mostly buying East Coast stuff. London's record shops and radio was very NY-centric and once Dre and Snoop left Death Row and 2Pac died the West didn't really have anyone high profile enough to keep the momentum going. Basically I probably missed out on a lot of good music. I've trying to make up for lost time recently. Soundtracks seem to be a good source of deep cuts but if anyone can help me make sense of the numerous Dogg Pound releases, 2Pac bootlegs and which of the Spice 1 albums are any good that would be much appreciated. Enjoy the mix.

2 comments:

  1. Did you ever get around to checking Suga Free's Street Gospel? If not, that should probably be top of your list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gave it a few listens a while back. Need to go back to it for refresher I think. Like most of his stuff with Quik though.

    ReplyDelete