Monday 28 March 2011

Max LX & Dave VJ on Kiss FM (1994)












My 300th post is also the first full tape I've dropped of Max LX & Dave VJ's infamous Kiss FM show! Broadcast every Wednesday from 7-9pm, the show kicked off with the Top 20 singles chart followed by an hour of upfront Hip Hop from both sides of the Atlantic. This show is from February 1994 and features music by Main Source, Volume 10, Cash Crew, Ice Cube and Nas. Make sure you check the Rap Report at the start of Part 2 for an excellent story/rumour about Big Daddy Kane!



If you aren't that up on Kiss FM's history it started as a pirate station in London in 1985 and became legal in 1990. The list of DJs that had shows on there reads like a Hall Of Fame: Soul II Soul, Westwood, Coldcut, DJ Hype, David Rodigan, Trevor Nelson, Norman Jay, Tuff Jam, Danny Rampling and pretty much anyone that was killing it in London in the 80s and 90s. I'm sure I'm not the only 30-something who's taste was shaped by its 'anything goes' playlist (a good example of this would be the mix I posted yesterday actually). During the day you could hear anything from Teena Marie, Barrington Levy and Masters At Work to the new Tribe or De La track. Anyway, I'm glad I was living close enough to London to pick it up; the BBC wasn't cutting it.

Thanks to diseone over at the DWG Forum for the tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment