Saturday 2 June 2018

Ol Dirty Bastard on the Radio 1 Rap Show (1995)



Yes it's another R1RS post. Big woop, wanna fightaboudit? Not got time for much else at the moment and despite the plethora of fantastic topics and ideas for posts that come to me during the day, I never actually get round to writing them up. I did manage to post up a list of my favourite dis tracks on Twitter (spoiler: Ether and Takeover aren't included) that sparked a healthy reaction, but also replies like: "no 2nd Round KO?".  It was very much off the top of the head but apart from missing out Real Muthafuckin Gz' it's mostly accurate. Anyway, on a related note I have recently noticed that my blog posts have been getting less hits (too much Westwood perhaps ?), and the engagement seems to centre more around the Mixcloud pages and Twitter. I'll continue to use this as the hub for now, but once I get to the 1000 post/10 year mark in March next year I may well call it a day on this here blogspot. I'm about to go and pick up a bunch of tapes that look severely classic, plus I still have the collection of Westwood tapes from 99-02 to work through (happy to a break from those to be honest - despite the gems I've come across, the shows overall weren't quite as exciting by the turn of the century) so material isn't an issue, but the aforementioned Mixcloud pages alongside the Hip Hop Radio Archive might be the way to go. If they ever get shutdown I'm throwing everything out of the window. Feedback and financial incentives to keep going on here are always welcome.

Big-ish Statement over with, the show above is from Spring '95 (I'm guessing June - anyone got a date?) with ODB counting down the Top 10 at 10 with Buddha Monk alongside him. Entertaining stuff plus they start freestyling over the ends of tracks on a few occasions.

Junior Mafia - Player's Anthem
Kaotic Stylin - Get In Where You Fit In
Crooklyn Dodgers - The Return Of The Crooklyn Dodgers
Keith Murray - This That Hit
AZ - Sugarhill
KRS One - MCs Act like They Don't Know
ODB & Buddha Monk - freestyle
Doug E Fresh - Where's The Party At
Raekwon & Ghostface - Criminology
ODB - freestyle
Method Man & Redman - How High
ODB & Buddha Monk freestyle
GZA - Labels
ODB - freestyle

That Doug E Fresh track seems to be on every Top 10 throughout mid 1995. God knows what that chart was based on.

oh, I also up'd this Marley Marl show from '98 which I posted way way back in the early days but it's now in one big stream-friendly file.

1 comment:

  1. Noooo! You cant stop on this blogspot... Let me know what needs to be done to keep it alive!

    ReplyDelete